Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Enjoying June

We are well over halfway through this month already (how did THAT happen!?!), and though I haven't "officially announced" a new habit for the month, I have been focusing in on enjoying each day and finding time to be outside. We started this month at Walt Disney World (#HeavenonEarth) and it was easy to enjoy AND spend time outside, but getting back home, and into the swing of regular life, has been a little more difficult in ways. We're happy it's summertime, which means time with friends and nothing on our schedule. But I think the thing that has been most difficult for me this month is the evidence of how quickly time goes by, and it pinpoints why I was so sad after we returned from our trip. It was pretty darn magical with Ellie being 5 and Walt being 2 because we got to see them truly believe in the things they were experiencing. We're not sure when we'll get to go again, but we do know they'll be a couple years older, and I just want them to stay in this magical stage forever. But I know they certainly won't.

As I've been enjoying our days together, this month has also brought a lot of perspective for me. I've found that there's not just good seasons or bad seasons of life, but just life. Some of 2016 and most of 2017 I kept waiting for the "hard stuff" to pass, so I could get back to enjoying life, but now I know that that's just how life is. All intermingled and interwoven, but you have to focus on the best and enjoy it with your whole heart.

And that's the legacy of the life Beth lived. We lost this dear friend and former owner of our house this month, almost one year from when we bought this house. The story of her life and this home that welcomed so many continues to amaze me: she was the best at enjoying all the moments, being grateful, and helping others...her life was an example of one well-lived. We attended her viewing and funeral, and were able to meet and talk with each of her children and other family members, as well as many long-time friends. Everyone we met spoke so highly of her and how lucky they were to know her. We learned at her service that she loved fishing, believed in UFOs, and was always up for an adventure. Beth went above and beyond to care for the children she helped care for at the now JD McCarty Center, giving each child a hug each day. She positively impacted so many people...her children, her neighbors, her children's friends, her coworkers, the people she went to church with, the children she worked with, the mail lady, and so many more. Her light and love set off a domino effect here in our little Norman corner of the world, and her warmth can be felt here still. I have been struggling a little, asking the "what ifs" about my own life and if I am "living it right". But I have seen time and time again, God sending me little signs that answer my questions and worries, before I can even put them into words myself. It feels somewhat silly to say this, but I still truly believe His hand was in us getting this house. Though this isn't the end of our story here, to look back on what this year has brought us, in all the good ways, and bad ways, and blessings, and challenges ahead, it's all connected, and it's just incredible to see how God's plan is so interwoven and He's there with us every step along the way. The chapter that Beth wrote for this house was something I could have only dreamt of, and now I get to continue with this story. God sees the deepest desires of our hearts and wants to give us those things, even when we think it might never ever come true. I hope I can live my life with such grace, kindness, and love that Beth did. Her casket was taken out to "Spirit in Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, and as her last moment with us, she left us all with a smile on our face and a peace that she's in "the place that's the best". What a beautiful lady that I am so grateful we got to know.

Life is so fleeting and I want to make the most of mine, which is why this "Enjoying June" has been so important to me. It's easy to sit and wallow in self-pity about how hard life can be, just in general really. But I have seen a great contrast in ways to live life, and how it can end up based on the choices you make, and it's clearer than ever how I hope to live mine. Feeling very thankful this month and looking forward to enjoying this sweet summertime together before life changes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment