Friday, August 11, 2017

Gal's Gathering

A friend is like a ray of sunshine
Making a brighter day
That fills our life with a light so bright
All the clouds are driven away.
A friend is like beautiful music
That lingers in our heart
And when a lovely melody is heard
The ills of life depart.
A friend is like a refreshing breeze
Making sure we feel at ease
Bringing happiness into our life
Always sharing our pain and strife.
A friend I hold close to my heart
Even when we are miles apart
I pray and thank God everyday
For a friend He sent my way.

I came across this little poem when looking for quotes on friendship, and it reminded me so much of my Grandma Re, my Mom's mom, who had a big heart for people and a great love for her friends. The night she went Home, she was copying a poem on friendship after a first date with her "special friend", though now I can't seem to find the one she was actually writing. I think back now on that night, and initially it was somewhat tragic for her to go just as she was getting to enjoy her life and her friends, but now it seems very fitting and something even more I learn from my sweet Grandma Re. Her life was a legacy of connections and loving on people, and simply being a good friend, and my own sweet Momma's life is one of the same. I've always seen and believed in the importance of friendship because of these special ladies, and have found that one of the best investments in life are people. Taking time to care for people you love and who love you is never a waste of time and always worth any small "inconvenience", and I am grateful and lucky to have many wonderful people in my life to call my friends who share this belief with me.

And the very best of friends make you feel normal and understood, even when you're not exactly the same, as well as refreshed and rejuvenated. This is just how I feel after spending time with one of my dearest and oldest friends of 20+ years, Joellen. We took a day for a much needed Girl Time at White Water yesterday with, get this, NO CHILDREN. (Thanks to understanding and unselfish Grandmas that loved on our kiddos for us, and husbands who always encourage us to take the time to ourselves.) I was feeling a little unsure as this week began, since it is extra work to get that free time, sometimes an inconvenience, and often nothing gets done on the to do list while we take a break, but I also knew time with a good friend is so important to my mental well-being. Joellen and I have been through a lot together: junior high, high school college, early married life, and becoming Mommas. We've worked through disagreements, supported one another in the challenges of motherhood, spoken words of truth that are sometimes hard to hear, celebrated life's victories, and encouraged one another in hard times. Our kiddos are more like siblings than just friends and we try to have a night out here or there that sometimes includes exercise, but always includes good food and good conversations. But today's conversations surrounded on important things like Disney t-shirts, kids starting school, Disney rides, what food we wanted to eat next, Disney souvenirs, and of course, our new book, Jen Hatmaker's "Of Mess and Moxie". While there was much Disney talk (since she is going her FIRST time in ONE MONTH. You know I'm going to live vicariously through that trip), we also talked a lot about our love of Jen. You could now call us her fangirls for more reasons than one, but each reason just as important as the next. She has spoken to each of hearts these past years, and specifically these past 6 months, and we couldn't wait to have her as part of our long-time planned girls day poolside. 

We've been following along through the past two years or more, through many big events in our lives and in the ever-changing world, and time-and-time again, Jen's words have resonated with me. Her post on social media seem to come just at the time I need to hear them, and I know God is using her to speak to many others who feel lost in their emotions, alone in their thoughts, or just simply like weirdos. Her book, "For the Love", was one of the few I have actually finished since becoming a mom, and something I wished I would've read long ago. She is hilariously self-depricating, incredibly honest, kindly challenging, and positively reaffirming. For a long time to me, a "good Christian" fit in one box, liked and cared for the same things, believed all the same exact things, and all lived the same way, all the while feeling like I've never fit inside that box...never good enough and never would be good enough. But Jen Hatmaker has brought me back into a space I don't think I've ever been in my life: where I know now God made me how I am and that I am good enough because of His love. I know better now that all I have to do is keep trying, and that He will meet me there and use all my seemingly selfish and frivolous parts for the good. Her words are encouraging, relatable,  reassuring, and often a challenge for more humility and gratefulness. Jen Hatmaker reminds me to simply "Love God. Love People", and they leave me refreshed and rejuvenated, like a day with a good friend.

While anticipating her new book these past few months, I've continued to follow her and her words continue to uplift me. I was able to listen to her speak in January, a month I could describe as one of my darkest in the past few years, where so much fear, anxiety, and worry had taken over me. And her talk was about fear and that it does not come from Him. I don't think that was any small coincidence, but God saying "I see you. I hear your pain but you are not alone." It was a beautiful night with good girlfriends I won't soon forget, and I left feeling hopeful after a really tough season for myself and my family. 

Social media can be so beautiful if used how she has done too...to create a community of women laughing and sharing stories together, and virtually hugging in scary and sad times. She speaks so much about the value of women in the church and in the world unlike any other, and specifically the value of girlfriend in the lives of women. Her new podcast, "For the Love", is beginning with a series dedicated to Girlfriends, and each episode makes me laugh and brings me to tears. And each one brings me back to an idea that I think is finally time to start...

This little dream of mine, a "Gal's Gathering", is something I've continued to put on the back-burner, but now know I need more than ever. It's inspired by my love of the amazing women and friendships in my life, inspired by the hilarity, honesty, and encouragement of Jen Hatmaker, and inspired by a something I've always loved to do. I've longed for a way to connect more to those girlfriends I have in my life, and on her first podcast, Jen Hatmaker and Shauna Neiquiest spoke of the ministry of hosting and serving a meal, both things I'd consider some of my passions and now see is a gift/talent too. I had to pause during that first podcast to hold back tears, as I realized that God sees my heart, my talents, and my dreams, and recognizes those things as valuable because they are important to me. He wants to use my strengths to help others, and he wants to do that for each of us, no matter what that looks like. 

So my idea and my hope is that I can help create a community of women caring and loving each other despite our weaknesses, strengths, or differences in life/religious/political beliefs. It takes nods at book clubs, Bible studies, and dinner parties, but is not just one of those things, but all of them. I want to help create a monthly supper club of delicious food and drinks, with a side of reading a book here an there, a dash of some wonderful "For the Love of Girlfriends" podcasts, and a house full of wonderful women I admire. If you've read this far, you're a real trooper and really must love me, so I hope you can join. I'm grateful for your friendships and I've looked up to each of you in some way. I hope I can be a better friend, a better person, and that I can serve you with these monthly meals, and I so appreciate you reading! 








No comments:

Post a Comment