Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Nostalgia

I am always so sad to leave Christmas behind. I love everything about Christmas... the sparkling lights, the warm fires in fireplaces, getting out decorations and having memories flood back, the joyful music, the tasty goodies, the happy movies, and time with ones we love. Our house is my most favorite at this time of year, because I can just imagine what it must have been like on that first Christmas for this home in 1947. Just after WWII, where our country felt a different sense of pride and hope, I am sure this was a warm and happy place, with a brightly lit tree in the front window. I like to think that we are taking our home back to it's more original state, back to a time more like the setting in "A Christmas Story". Christmas is such a beautiful time, and I always wish it could stay a little longer. Many of my most vivid and favorite memories are from Christmas too, whether it was with my big family of 7 or just my Dad, our dog, Rosy, and me. You can bet I am already counting down to Christmas next year!

But I also look forward to a new year - a new opportunity to simply start fresh. Whether it's cliche or not, I always make New Year's resolutions, and they always seem to fall into three categories: health, organization, and finances. So here I am again, with my lists of goals for this new year, with also what I've learned about these over the past year.

Health
I've done the best I have ever done this past year in eating better and exercising more, but I am going to continue this, with more of an urgency, because I am hoping that we will get to start a family this year. That is my heart's desire, and has been for as long as I can remember. Watching several of my friends become mothers over the past few years makes, me long even more for that day when I will have a sweet little one in my arms too. How beautiful that day will be.

I am also so thankful for my actual health in terms of well-being. So many people struggle with illnesses that I cannot even fathom what it is like. Both Chris and I are healthy, and I definitely don't that for granted. We've said goodbye to a few dear family members this year too, who have struggled with cancer, and it puts everything back into perspective. It reminds us that time with people is the most valuable gift.

Organization
This is always part of my "to do" list and though it's not necessarily supremely important, I want to make room for other things in our lives, and getting organized can help us to that. So I am following a blog that outlines simple ways to de-clutter and organize everyday of the year. (http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2012.htm) And again, I am preparing for a family, and by doing these, it will be all the more possible.


Finances
This past year was big for us because for the first time in over 10 years, I am finally credit card debt free! What an amazing feeling it is! Now onto the next debt...I also plan to read Dave Ramsey's book, Financial Peace, hoping to scale back, save more, pay off debt, and you guessed it, prepare to start our family! :) 

With this beautiful holiday season and 2011 coming to an end, I want to remember so much...From a scary surgery for our sweet dog, finding a church we love, running in the OKC Memorial Marathon Relay, hosting NHS Prom 2011, a terrifying 2 weeks with my Dad in the hospital, our fabulous vacation the Daniels' own Hawaii,  news about a new nephew and twins that will all be here in the spring, watching my baby brother in his final season of high school marching band, getting nominated for teacher of the year, celebrating 3 years of marriage and 10 years together, saying goodbye to loved ones too soon, to a love story with a proposal so magical that it belongs in the movies, this year has been amazing! I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for the Valentas Family, and much love to each of yours in the coming year!






1 comment: