Tuesday, August 24, 2010

V is for...

A good friend of mine recently suggested that I start a blog. So here I am. Giving it a try. I've always, always loved journaling, so I guess this is my new way of doing so, or in addition to what I write already in my journal. Last year, I did a "Project 365" on my facebook, where I posted pictures for each day. That was tough but I really love the end product. So instead of continuing that, I thought I wanted to start a blog on my 27th birthday, which also happened to be the first day of school in my third year of teaching. Obviously, that didn't work out, and it was pretty crazy for me to think that doing that was really going to happen. But you live and you learn! And now I'm starting my blog today. It was a good day, that gave me a glimpse of fall, and it made me happy. Pretty good for the first week of school, eh?

Now, you may be thinking... "Why all the alliteration with the V's?". Well, because I'm an English teacher and I think all these V words capture the essence of "me". Let me explain each part:

Vintage -
I've loved old and antique things for as long as I can remember, from houses to furniture, and cars to knick-knacks. I live in a 1940s cottage-y home, and despite the things that need to be upgraded, I absolutely love it. I think of the people who lived here before me, and how different their lives must have been from mine. Especially since this house was built right around the end of WWII...Those Americans were the greatest generation. I also feel that I am "called" to love and preserve these old things, as they are a part of our history. I believe I am doing a little service to honor those who lived before me and fought for what I can now call my freedoms.

Values -
I believe that I am a person who has some strong values, and though I've made plenty of mistakes, I still try to stick to my beliefs. I truly value honesty, compassion, patience, trustworthiness, understanding, and integrity. The people who are closest to me I think have these attributes, and I am the luckiest gal in the world to have them in my life.

Ventures -
I strongly believe in "living each day to it's fullest". Some days this makes me pretty exhausted and sometimes low on the "cash-flow", but I have so many incredible memories of places I've traveled and things that I have given the opportunity to do, and I would NEVER trade those memories for anything. I plan on continuing this life of adventure, and experiencing many more things. It excites me thinking of what the future holds for me.

Lastly, I love the word "vested". I actually used it in my first-day-of-school-get-to-know-you activity. I called myself "Vested Valentas", because this attribute of mine can be both a strength and a weakness. Whatever I do (teaching, being a friend, being a wife, creating a project), I put my all into it. Sometimes that gets me in trouble when I expect others to do the same, and then I get hurt. But I'd rather give my all, and risk that chance of getting hurt.

Well, I want to read some of the book I just started finally before going to bed. So, farewell blog-land! Hopefully, I will write again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment